Act Now to Show Your Support for the Volunteer FireFighters Protection Bill!
S.B. 766 by Senator Hegar will be heard this Wednesday in the Senate Intergovernmental Relations Committee.
PLEASE CALL YOUR SENATOR IN SUPPORT OF THIS BILL!
S.B.766 will make it clear, once and for all, that the state should not impose mandatory licensing, regulation and red-tape on volunteer firefighters.
SFFMA encourages all volunteers to obtain as much training as time and money will allow. However, in these tough economic times, it has become increasingly difficult to recruit people to volunteer to protect their communities and those who do should not have to ask Austin bureaucrats for permission first!
S.B. 766 does the following:
(1) Defines who is a volunteer firefighter;
(2) Prohibits the state from regulating volunteer firefighters;
(3) Will help slow the decline in the number of volunteers willing to serve the State of Texas. Since 77% of the state is protected by volunteers, this is very important!
If you live in the areas covered by the Senators listed below, please call or fax their offices today through Wednesday.
When calling or faxing:
* State your name, your department and that you live in the Senator’s district.
* Let them know that S.B. 766 will prevent unfunded mandates from the state that you and your fire department can’t afford.
* Politely ask for the senator’s support for the bill and ask that he/she co-sponsor the bill.
Committee Chair: Sen. Juan Hinojosa (Brooks, Hidalgo, Jim Wells and Nueces counties) 512.463.0120 / fax: 512.463.0229
Vice Chair: Sen. Robert Nichols (Anderson, Angelina, Cherokee, Hardin, Henderson, Houston, Jasper, Liberty, Montgomery, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Polk, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Shelby, Trinity and Tyler counties). ph: 512.463.0103 / fax: 512.463.1526
Members: Sen. Sylvia Garcia (Harris County areas including Galena Park, Pasadena areas)
ph: 512.463.0106 / fax: 713.923.7676
Sen. Ken Paxton (Collin County and parts of Dallas county) ph: 512.463.0108 / fax: 512.463.7579
Sen. Larry Taylor (Brazoria and Galveston counties) ph: 512.463.0111 / 512.475.3727
If you live in Senator Glenn Hegar’s district, please call him and thank him for carrying the Volunteer Firefighter Protection Act. Phone: 512.463.0118
(Aransas, Austin, Burleson, Calhoun, Colorado, DeWitt, Fayette, Fort Bend, Goliad, Gonzales, Jackson, Lavaca, Lee, Matagorda, Refugio, Victoria, Waller, Washington, Wharton counties)